#Article (Archive)

Former NDEA Director continues testimony

Oct 24, 2011, 1:29 PM | Article By: Malamin Conteh

Ousman Sanneh, former Director of Operations at the National Drug Enforcement Agency (NDEA) Thursday continued his defence testimony under cross-examination, in the criminal trial involving former top officials of the agency at the Special Criminal Court in Banjul before Justice Emmanuel Nkea.

Ibrahim Bun Sanneh, former NDEA Executive Director, Karamo Bojang, former deputy executive director, Ousman Sanneh, former director of operations, Seedou Bojang, the agency’s former accountant, and one Marie Sanneh, were indicted by state prosecutors under a 30-count charge.

The alleged offences include conspiracy to commit felony, stealing by person in public service, aiding and abetting, unlawful possession of fire arm, unlawful possession of live ammunitions, concealment and destroying of evidence, official corruption, abuse of office, obtaining money by false pretence, making document without authority, among others.

Continuing his testimony under cross-examination, Ousman Sanneh, who is the second defence witness, DW2, told the court that Kalipha Badjie was supposed to pay D250,000 in respect of a plea bargain, but Badjie had told him that he could not pay the money.

He added that Badjie also told him that he had a piece of land, which he was selling so as to pay the money.

The witness denied requesting a piece of land in exchange for the plea bargain, and further denied telling Badjie that the amount of D250, 000 had been approved.

Sanneh told the court that he had never received the amount of D26, 000 from Badjie for the plea bargain, but admitted that a cautionary statement was obtained from him (the witness).

Still testifying under cross-examination, DW2 said the second accused person called him and told him that they received a fake drug, and the entire senior management went to the office of the first accused person, but they did not talk about burying the issue.

 He further adduced that, after official closing hours, he did visit his office whenever the need arose, adding that on 28 June 2008, after leaving his office, he returned to his office without the notice of the security on duty.

 “I found the officers on permanent duty stealing exhibits from the exhibits store through a broken window by using a long stick,” the witness revealed, adding that he called the first accused and informed him, who told him to effect arrest on them, which he did.

The witness denied that he had a business relationship with the 1st and the 2nd accused persons.

 “I am not aware that the 2nd accused gave 500kg of cocaine to Manjang Janko which was sold on behalf of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd accused persons respectively in the sum of $9,000,” he told the court.  

Hearing continues.