#Headlines

Sanyang women rice farmers demand compensation from GACH

Dec 1, 2020, 12:14 PM | Article By: Yusupha Jobe

A number of women rice farmers at Sanyang Kayanko have accused GACH, a private owned sand mining company of destroying their rice farms following salt water intrusion and also demolition of fences due to mining operations.

The Gambia, Angola, China, Holdings (GACH) of recent received several complaints from the local women rice farmers, who expressed their frustration and anger for the damage on their rice fields by the mining company.

The women last month met the Village Development Committee (VDC) of Sanyang in a bid to empower them receive financial compensation from the accused sand mining company.

Many women have confirmed that they are no longer going to work on rice farms following destruction of their rice farm fences that were meant to keep animals at bay.

Fatou Jarju, a victim told The Point in an interview that her rice field has almost been destroyed by animal intrusion after the mining company she claims demolished her entire fencing boundary meant to keep at bay cattle from entering.

“I was told by the head of Operations of the mining company that the destroyed fence will be replaced but until today, I only receive information of animals intruding my rice field. I have since stopped going to visit my rice farm after the entire fence of the farm was damaged by the activities of the mining company.”

“What can I do? I have no power to look for compensation but to only rely on God’s help.”

“We were promised to be compensated by the company and this has been since the end of the raining season when our rice fields were growing. I personally have to lose six of my cashew trees which I used to pay school fees, lunch and buy uniforms for my children,” she stated.

Isatou Gibba, also a victim, said the intrusion of salt water has caused damage to her rice farm while citing the amount of water that entered her farm due to the mining nature of the company as huge.

“The intrusion of salt water into my rice farm is as a result of a water channel created by the company to allow easy transportation of a drilling machine to a different location for mining.”

“What we are only seeking as for now is to be compensated financially by the company because we cannot regain what has already been destroyed by the mining company,” she mentioned.

Kawsu Jatta, head of Operations at the mining company, in response to allegations, stated that prior to the sand mining activities, the company he said had engaged in a meeting with those believed to be affected for compensation.

“We did not just jump and start work like that, I can tell all of the women who were likely to be affected were consulted for a meeting and informed about compensation over any of their destroyed properties by the activities of the company.” 

 And let me make it clear that it will surely happen,” he assured.

Read Other Articles In Headlines
Njie and others
Gambians in Diaspora to vote in all elections, Supreme Court declares
Jan 28, 2021, 2:50 PM

The Supreme Court of the Gambia on Wednesday has ruled that Gambians abroad can register and vote in all national elections including referenda, presidential, National Assembly and Local Government elections.

Tatsuo Arai paid a visit to the GID
Japanese ambassador extends benevolence to GID for border management
Oct 27, 2021, 1:59 PM

Banjul – On 22 October, H.E. Ambassador of Japan to The Gambia, Tatsuo Arai, paid a visit to the Gambia Immigration Department (GID)’s headquarters and handed over a set of equipment to reinforce the country’s border management efforts.

Over 1,500 Senegalese, Gambian leaders in border communities engaged in covid-19 fight
May 6, 2020, 12:24 PM

The International Organisation for Migration (IOM) in partnership with the Ministry of Health, The Gambia Red Cross Society and other national partners has launched a covid-19 sensitisation campaign, which aims to engage over 1,500 community leaders in some 120 border communities in both Senegal and The Gambia.

Ousman Sonko v3
Sonko calls for more protests amid release
Mar 10, 2021, 12:54 PM

Senegal opposition leader Ousmane Sonko called on Monday for more protests against President Macky Sall after being indicted and released on bail over a rape charge that has sparked violent unrest across the country.