#Article (Archive)

Muhammed Al’Amar & co trial progresses

Dec 15, 2010, 12:28 PM | Article By: Isatou Senghore

The criminal trial involving Muhammed Al’Amar and Ebrima Camara continued on 13 November 2010 at the Kanifing Magistrates’ Court before Magistrate Tabally.

The duo are being tried on a five-count charge of failure to comply with compliance directive, by giving food warranty, prohibitions or sale of food, sold or offered food which was unwholesome or unfit for human consumption, and prohibitions of storage or selling of food under unsanitary or unhygienic condition.

Testifying, Maimuna Janneh, the second prosecution witness (PW2), told the court that she knew (PW1) Fatou Janneh, and she also recognised the accused persons.

She said she also knew Sultan Sweets Restaurant, and on 17 September 2009, they sent their younger sister Fatou Janneh to buy pizza from Sultan Sweets Restaurant.

“My sister bought it and brought it home; after we ate bread and butter and later we ate the pizza after 9pm,” she told the court.

She revealed that her sister bought a family pizza and the eight of them who ate the pizza are Fatou Janneh, Ida Janneh, Haddy Janneh, Maimuna Janneh, Mariama Janneh, Njameh Saidykhan, Isatou Saidykhan and Sulayman Saidykhan. She added that Sulayman Njie was given some of the pizza.

“The pizza started reacting and at around 12 midnight we were rushed to Bakau Health Centre where some medications were given to us and we went back home,” she explained.

She said further that when they got home, things got worse and they were taken to ASB German Clinic, where they were admitted for four days and later discharged.

“At that night, myself and Fotou Janneh were again admitted for one night and discharged after the reaction again,” Janneh explained.

“We were informed that we have food poison and some medications were given to us and the personnel from the medical health and the accused persons visited us,” PW2 told the court.

She said they were later called at the Kotu Police Station and a statement was obtained from her.

At that juncture, the case was adjourned until 27 December 2010.