Young Gambian entrepreneur to win D1M TAF Africa Start-up competition

Thursday, December 13, 2018

One Gambian young entrepreneur with registered business will win a whopping 1 million dalasis on December 29 if  able to provide convincing business ideas before the panel of judges in a TAF Africa Foundation pitching competition.

The Foundation  organized a pitching competition for 10 finalists between the ages of 18 to 30 years at Madiba hall in Brufut out of which only one luck entrepreneur will pocket the 1 million dalasi on 29 December.

There will be first and second runner-up prizes of 500, 000 dalasis and 250,000 dalasis respectively.

Participants will pitch their ideas before a panel of judges, including Fady Hocheimy; Managing Director of MFH Group, Haddy Faye; Founder and CEO of Absolute GLAM and Entertainment, Harona Drammeh; founder and CEO Paradise TV/FM and Mediamatic and Fatim Badjie-Sinyan; CEO and proprietor of Ace Communications Executive.

TAF Africa Foundation regional manager Ousainou Sosseh said the initiative started one month ago as an opportunity to give back to communities they serve, since those communities have given a lot to the  organization. “The competition will take place succeeding TAFCON, a TAF Africa Global annual conference at Coral Beach Hotel in Brufut,” he said.

Fatim Badjie-Sinyan said 24 contestants were selected but only 10 will be lucky to take part in the pitching competition. “After the pitching competition, 30% of the scores will be given to people to vote for the contestants whiles the remaining 70% will be handed to the judges on the day of the competition,” she explained.

She said the contestants that were selected are  between 18 and 30 years of age who have registered businesses in The Gambia and their business plans  submitted.

Author: Fatou B. Cham