NEMA gives two new Tractors to CRR farmers

Monday, January 15, 2018

National Agricultural Land and Water Management Development Project (NEMA) last Thursday handed two new dongfeng tractors to Ballal Kaffo of Sabach Sanjally and Alhagie Pierre Bah of Niani district, in the Central River Region north.

The tractors are said to worth four million six hundred thousand dalasis with 45% of the cost provided by the NEMA project while the remaining 55% would be paid by the beneficiary groups as loan. The presentation was held at the project headquarters at Abuko.

NEMA project financial controller Alhagie B. Jabang said NEMA was created to enhance food security and poverty reduction in the country. He said the overall goal of the tractor project targets to reduce poverty among rural people by increasing their income from improved productivity based on sustainable land and water management practices.

He explained that the beneficiaries would pay their 55% in 30 months, calling on them to ensure that they live up to expectation.

Kebba S Manka, a land and water management specialist described farming as a lucrative activity, observing that the tractors will go a long way in improving the beneficiary farming activities.  He stated that the project intervention areas are in water management for rice production, vegetable scheme, agriculture business development and training.

Mr. Manka called on the beneficiaries to make best use of the tractors to enhance food security and income in their areas and the entire country

.Business development officer of NEMA Banky Njie dwelled on the importance of the project, saying that it will immensely help them to have access to labor saving devices such as land preparation equipment. He said the project targets to improve the beneficiaries’ production and productivity.

The project knowledge management and communication officer Bakary Jammeh called for concerted efforts in enhancing food security in the country to improve economic empowerment for the farming communities.

He challenged the beneficiaries to put in place strong mechanism for the sustainability of the project, stating that tractor spare parts could be costly.

Receiving the equipment on behalf of the beneficiaries, Alhagie Pierre Bah, chief of Niani and Amie Bah of Ballal Kaffo of Sabach Fulla in Sabach Sanjally both applauded the NEMA project and Sutura enterprise for their efforts in empowering farmers. They further confirmed the importance of the equipment in their work, noting that it will boost their production and productivity. 

Author: Lamin SM Jawo