Mo Ibrahim Foundation (MIF) is pleased to announce the launch of the 11th
annual Ibrahim Index of African Governance (IIAG), taking place on 20 November
2017 when the results and analysis will be shared with the public at
To mark the launch, Mo Ibrahim will participate in a Facebook Live event to discuss the key trends highlighted by this report and respond to questions in real time from online users.
Following the launch, MIF will host a high-level discussion of the findings for Africa-focused stakeholders on 30 November in Dakar, Senegal.
Global Launch of the 2017 IIAG
The IIAG is an unmatched resource providing the world’s most extensive analysis of the quality of governance in African countries.
With the Index, MIF seeks to enable governments, citizens, business, academia, policy makers and analysts to use its findings as a tool to accurately assess the delivery of public goods and services and drive conversations about governance in Africa. As such, the data are made freely available each year via the IIAG Data Portal (iiag.online).
• With 17 years of data to draw from, the 2017 IIAG is uniquely positioned to measure trends in governance. This year the focus of the Foundation’s analysis is on comparing how the quality of governance across Africa has changed over the past five years (2012-2016) within the context of the last decade (2007-2016).
• This year, in the place of a press conference, MIF will take the data directly to the public using Mo’s Facebook Live event to encourage discussion across social media about governance and leadership in Africa using the hashtags #AskMIF and #IIAG.
• The IIAG contains analysis across 100 indicators from 36 independent African and global data institutions to cover all 54 African countries in the areas of Safety & Rule of Law, Participation & Human Rights, Sustainable Economic Opportunity and Human Development.
• The Data Portal is a user-friendly interface that offers a bespoke analysis of governance ranks, scores and trends for each country. Users can create printable charts and graphics from the data.
Facebook Live with Mo
• Time: Monday 20 November 2017 from 11:00 GMT
• Location: https://www.facebook.com/MoIbrahimFoundation
• Live from MIF headquarters, Mo will highlight the key trends in this year’s data while taking questions from viewers in real time.
• Viewers can submit questions directly in the comments section of the live feed, or alternately via Facebook and Twitter using the hashtag #AskMIF.
Mo Ibrahim Foundation
The Mo Ibrahim Foundation was established in 2006 with a focus on the critical importance of leadership and governance in Africa. By providing tools to support progress in leadership and governance, the Foundation aims to promote meaningful change on the continent.
The Foundation, which is a non-grant making organisation, focuses on defining, assessing and enhancing governance and leadership in Africa through four main initiatives:
• Ibrahim Index of African Governance
• Ibrahim Prize for Achievement in African Leadership
• Ibrahim Forum
• Ibrahim Fellowships and Scholarships
The Ibrahim Index of African Governance (IIAG)
The Ibrahim Index of African Governance (IIAG) provides an annual assessment of the quality of governance in African countries and is the most comprehensive collection of data on African governance. The 2017 IIAG combines 100 indicators from 36 independent African and global data institutions.