Gambia College workers resume; 80% of demands met

Thursday, October 05, 2017

Lecturers at the Gambia College have finally resumed work on Monday, now that 80 per cent of the demands that led to their sit-down strike have been met.

“I can happily tell you that the six demands we have put forward, 80 per cent of them were actually met,” said Andrew A.D Gomez, chairperson of the Gambia College Academic Staff Association.

“What my association did was to accept the fulfilment of the 80 per cent and negotiations continue for the remaining 20 per cent.”

On 18 September, staff members of the Gambia College started an indefinite sit-down strike, mainly due to the non-payment of retention and teaching allowances, poor salary and shortage of academic staff members.

Their demands included an increment of teaching allowance from 30 per cent to 75 per cent; payment of graduate/retention allowance and the review of the college’s salary structure to march with other government sister tertiary institutions; filling of vacant positions by competent personnel, and confirmation of the Head of Departments of various schools of the college.

Meanwhile, Mr Gomez did not specify which of their demands have been met.  But he described the remaining 20 per cent unmet demands as “internal issues,” which they are prepared to take up with the college’s governing council and administration.

Author: Mustapha Ceesay
Source: Picture: Gambia College staff