Fire ravages house materials worth over D400k

Friday, December 28, 2018

House materials worth over D400,000 have all perished in a fire incident that took place at Jambanjelly village on Monday 24 December 2018.

The blaze, according to neighbours and eyewitnesses, started on Monday morning, but its cause could not be established.

Ebrima Darboe, the head of house, told The Point that he believed the incident could be caused by an electric spark as a result of bad wiring system.

Some of the materials that were burnt to ashes included: laptops, flat screen TVs, refrigerators and room sofas.

He said the incident happened while he was at his garden. He said that his wife was also away at the market, adding that his eight-year-old child informed him while at the garden.

“It was shocking because it happens at a time when my wife was at the market and I was also at the garden,” he said.

Saikou Jobe, a neighbour, said the fire outbreak started at 9 a.m. in the morning, explaining that it took a while before it was put under control.

 “We had to take number of hours fighting the fire. But all the materials in the house were consumed before the intervention of the Fire Service,” he said.

Author: Yusupha Jobe