Central Bank official reveals substantial withdrawals at commission

Friday, September 08, 2017

Karamo Jawara, principal banking officer at the Central Bank, yesterday continued his testimony before the commission of inquiry looking into the assets and financial transactions of former President Jammeh.

He was testifying in relation to the Special Project Fund Vision 2016 account opened by the office of the former president.

Mr Jawara stated that the account was opened on 4 July 2014, adding that $45,194,083.24 was the total deposit into the account and $45,171,420.05 was withdrawn, leaving a balance of $22,623.

He posited that the former president was the sole signatory to the account, adding that there was formal request from the Treasury Department to open account, and $1,600,000 was withdrawn before instructions were made.

He said there was no suggestion that the governor of the bank was aware of the opening of the account.

He posited that the last transaction made on the account was on 23 January 2017, and this was a withdrawal of $99,000 when the former president had already left the country.

He testified that there were 123 withdrawals on the account, adding that the first transaction was done on 15 July 2014.

He posited that $300,000 was withdrawn and received by Sanna Jarju and signed by the former president, adding that $600,000 was also received by Sanna Jarju and signed by the former president.

Mr Jawara stated that $700,000 was received by Sanna Jarju on 23 July 2014, and signed by the former president, adding that $700,000 was withdrawn by Nuha Touray and signed by the former president.

He adduced that Nuha Touray received $300,000 on 31 July 2014, and was signed by the former president, adding that $1,000,000 was withdrawn by Sanna Jarju on 13 August 2014, and signed by the former president.

Mr Jawara said that $500,000 was received by Abdoulie Sallah and signed by the former president, adding that $1,000,000 was withdrawn by Basiru Njie and signed by the former president, and the money was transferred to Guinea and Sierra Leone.

He adduced that on 3 September 2014, $500,000 was received by Alhaji Ousman Ceesay, protocol, and signed by the former president, adding that $1,000,000 was also received by Alhaji Ousman Ceesay on 10 September 2014, and signed by the former president.

He stated that $469,593.80 was on 15 September 2014, withdrawn by Alhaji Ousman Ceesay and signed by the former president, adding that on 18 September 2014, $700,000 was also received by Alhaji Ousman Ceesay and signed by the former president.

He posited that $700,000 was withdrawn on 30 September 2014 by Alhaji Ousman Ceesay, and signed by the former president, adding that $300,000 was also received by Alhaji Ousman Ceesay on 8 October 2014 and signed by the former president.

Mr Jawara adduced that on 14 October 2014, $500,000 was withdrawn by Alhaji Ousman Ceesay and signed by the former president, adding that $496,841 was received by Sanna Jarju on 3 October 2014, and signed by the former president.

He said further that $500,000 was received by Sanna Jarju on 3 October 2014, and signed by the former president, adding that on 27 October 2014, $200,000 was withdrawn by Sanna Jarju and signed by the former president.

He said $500,000 was on 4 November 2014, requested by A.M. Sallah for the provision of necessary supply for outbreak of Ebola, adding that $700,000 was received on 6 November 2014, by Sanna Jarju and signed by the former president.

Mr Jawara stated that $100,000 was withdrawn by Sulayman Badjie on 29 November 2014, and signed by the former president.

Mr Jawara adduced that on 9 December 2014, Sanna Jarju received $700,000 and was signed by the former president, adding that $1,095,005 was transferred to a special fund on 17 December 2014, and was also signed by the former president.

He said further that $1,000,000 was withdrawn by Sanna Jarju on 8 January 2015, and signed by the former president, adding that on 29 January 2015, $500,000 was received by Sanna Jarju and it was signed by the former president, and that Sanna Jarju again withdrew $200,000 on 5 February 2014, under the instruction of the former president.

Author: Dawda Faye
Source: Picture: The Janneh Commission in progress