Adama Barrow and Macky Sall, the heads of state of Senegal and The Gambia, have
issued a joint communiqué in Banjul yesterday, after the duo co-chaired the
First Presidential Council Meeting in Banjul from 11th to 13th March 2018.
According to the Communiqué read on their behalves by their respective foreign ministers, they agreed on establishment of a Senegalo-Gambian Presidential Council to demonstrate new dynamism they intend to give to the relations between The Gambia and Senegal.
Presidents Barrow and Sall called on their respective ministers to pursue the implementation of:
1. Defense and Security: Identify joint patrols along the borders to fight against wood trafficking
2. Justice: Draft Agreements relating to Extradition and Mutual Legal Assistance in area of judicial cooperation on civil and commercial issues.
3. Consular Matters: Define modalities of implementation of the Agreement on Consular Matters signed in March 2-17
4. Tourism: Develop a Joint Action Plan for the Implementation of Agreement on Tourism
5. Energy: Provide additional 1 Mega Watts of power to The Gambia by April 2018.
The Presidential Council Meeting also finalised the following:
- Agreement on the Assistance to detained persons and transfer of sentenced persons
- Agreement on Road Transport, Health and Animal Husbandry
- Cultural Cooperation
- Sport, MoU on Higher Education, Research, Science and Technology
See our subsequent editions for coverage of the press conference that followed.